Happy Holi from Sugar Land

I find myself increasingly fascinated with Indian culture- this includes my love for Indian cuisine. I am sure that a lot of it has to do with finding myself surrounded by Indian neighbors. Sugar Land, Texas proudly boasts of their very diverse population and claims that their schools are the most diverse in the United States! Even before I moved to Texas, I have loved Bollywood movies and Indian food so you can imagine my delight when I discovered that most of my neighbors are from India.

Barigit turned 13 last week and had a sleepover with a couple of her friends. As I was in the midst of baking a cake, I looked out my  kitchen window to see my neighbors gathered in the center court, covered in bright colors. I hollered to the girls and we rushed out of the apartment to see what was going on. Immediately after stepping outside we were blasted with vibrant powdered colors accompanied with the greeting "Happy Holi"

It was awesome, our friends did not hesitate to include us in their colorful celebration. They rubbed powdered pigment of green, orange, blue, yellow, purple, and reds. Barigit's little friends joined in the celebration as we listened to Indian music and rubbed colors on each other.
Holi, also known as the Festival of Colors, is a Hindu spring festival celebrated all across India and Nepal and among Hindus in Bangladesh and Pakistan. According to Wikipedia it is a celebration of good triumphing over evil and the arrival of spring. Barigit and I got a chance to enjoy this festival that is usually celebrated half way across the globe right here in our new community just south of Houston, Texas.

x

Comments

What people are reading