OMG She's turning 13!

This week I will be joining the sisterhood of moms that have teenage daughters.  I am entering this exclusive club with some trepidation mixed with delight as together, Barigit and I keep an eye on the future.  Barigit was born at a time in my life when I thought I would never get to know what it would be like to be a mom.  She was an easy baby and rarely fussed.
Bea with her Minecraft cap

There were milestones that were difficult.  I am still traumatized by the "potty-training" phase.  I have never been so humiliated in public by another human being.  If you are a parent, you know exactly what I am talking about, some of you like me, are still dealing with PTSD from the horrors of this chapter.  I had to remind myself of my mantra: "This Too Shall Pass" and it did, all too fast.

This year Barigit decided that her beautiful name which means "Strong One" is too complicated for people to remember and pronounce so she tells people she is Bea.  She loves Minecraft, anime, Dr. Who, and anything to do with Studio Ghibli.  We can play music by the Beatles and Queen and she knows within the first few notes what song it is.  She loves science and all its branches, her challenge will be in choosing one that most intrigues her.

Bea has been begging me to take her to Goodwill with the promise that "We will find some great deals there!" Worried that she was spending too much time watching the various YouTube channels that expose our kids to a plethora of bizarre activities, I started investigating and asking her questions about the YouTube phenomenon.  I realized that we were speaking a different language as she laughed and my nomenclature.  We birthed an idea that I will add her as a guest blogger and she will combine YouTube videos as we try some of the crazy things that young people are watching on the internet. We actually recorded a little bit of our trip to Goodwill, which to her disappointment, the only good deal we found was a wine rack for the kitchen.
Lisa and Barigit at Goodwill
She is going to set us straight on some of these new words that we evidently have to know when we talk to digital natives.  She is going to make me try some of her favorite things on YouTube and suggested that our one of our first adventures (after Goodwill) should be cooking without our hands.  This idea was quickly vetoed by me and you will NOT see us attempting such a dangerous kitchen activity!

I am excited to see what inspiring ideas she implements on her contribution to this blog.  She actually might put her frivolous technology aside and learn some important skills like photo and video editing.  You might even be mildly entertained!

#lisaslogic #BeazBuzz

Comments

What people are reading